Article by Vedant Vikrom Borah, Reiki Rays
So now we know that each finger corresponds to a particular element, which represents these elements in our body and that it is important to balance every element in our system, mudras bring about this balance.
Many people do but most of us do not give importance to our hands. Our hands are not just the most used part of our body but are also essential in energy systems. Which part of you do you use the most to send Reiki – eyes, foot soles or hands? Receiving and giving? Eating? Blessing? Yes, yes it is our hands which we use the most.
Which finger represents which element?
- Thumb – Fire
- Index or Jupiter finger – Air
- Middle or Saturn finger – Ether/Space
- Ring or Sun finger – Earth
- Little or Mercury finger – Water
How mudras work?
Our finger tips are the peripherals of our body; this is where nerve root endings are concentrated and are called free energy (prana/chi) discharge points. If we touch the finger to a particular part of a body or another finger tip this energy is re-directed to the body itself. When a mudra is carried out for a specified period the free energy being re-directed tones up the nervous system. These electromagnetic currents balance the constituting elements.
A simple exercise
- Take easy, slow and deep breaths.
- Stand shoulder width apart, extend your hands to your front with your palms facing down.
- Raise your right hand upward and bring your left hand down, extend your fingers and in swift movements open and close your palms for a count of 20-30, make a tight fist and open your palms extending the fingers again. This is to be done for both the palms simultaneously.
- After the counts, raise your left hand this time and bring the right hand down. Repeat the open-close of your palms simultaneously.
- Once completed, easily bring your palms together in front of your heart centre as if you are to create a chi ball. Do not extend your finger, keep them close or join them. What do you feel? That electric feeling between your palms is your activated free energy. Perhaps you are also feeling a chi ball.
- You are now ready for – a Reiki session, Reiki mudra session or Reiki meditation using the Gyan mudra (touching index finger and thumb, remaining fingers straight).
Reiki Mudra and Chakras
Since in my previous article – Reiki Mudra it was mentioned how you can begin a Reiki mudra session, I won’t repeat it now. You can also carry out the above mentioned exercise before the session as you have activated the energy channels through that. There are other mudras known for opening and balancing the chakras or to unlock the chakras and keep them spinning. Kindly check the attached links at the end of the article to learn more on how to carry out these mudras.
Once you do that you will find it interesting to note how each element and chakra align with its function. The chakra mantra or sounds help activate the chakras while chanting and practicing the mudras. Ideally you should carry out the mudra in a sequence and spend at least a minute per mudra. So, in 7-10 minutes your chakras are fresh, healthy and spinning.
Reiki Mudra for our spiritual journey
- Now this is an amazing mudra to work on the Spirit and protection it requires dedication and practice. The Bhram mudra connects our past, present and future and directs the self towards Righteousness. Also immensely helpful to come out of unexplained depression. Make a fist of both the hands, index finger pointing up and both hands facing each other. But the left hand should be placed lower than the right such that the tip of the index finger is aligned with the base of the thumb of the right hand. Hold this formation before you and gaze through the two fingers, or within the space between the hands. Spine straight, head relaxed and chin pulled in slightly. Close your eyes after a few minutes (11 minutes to be precise) and meditate.
- The Lotus mudra is one wherein we work towards ushering infinite Divine love, and this works on our Heart Chakra. Bring your hands together to Gassho position at your heart centre and slowly open and separate your fingers except the thumbs, little fingers and the base of the palms should be in contact. Expand the fingers a little but be relaxed, it will be like a lotus flower blooming. This funnels Divine energy into our Heart chakra and is amazing mudra during times of loneliness and despair.
- In our spiritual path, we encounter various obstacles in our way. Sometimes this block feels as if we are walking but going nowhere. So to develop deep insight the Naga mudra can be practiced. For this bring both your hands in front of your heart centre and form a cross. Place the left hand vertical between the thumb and index of the right hand facing you while the right hand is held horizontal. Cross the thumbs, left thumb crossing the right.
- The Abhaya and Varada mudras can be practiced simultaneously wherein the right hand is raised to the chest level, palms facing outward as in blessing or a wave (abhya mudra) while the left hand rests on the thigh with the palm facing outward and fingers pointing earth, it’s the reverse of abhaya (Varada mudra). While the former helps us conquer fear and be free from it, the latter brings about the energy of forgiveness. Together this combination works very well in our day to day life.
- How often do we feel agitated, anxious or so overworked that you are not falling asleep? To calm ourselves and be able to deal with daily chores, the mudra for life comes in very handy. Here the tips of ring finger and little finger touches the tip of the thumb of both hands, the remaining fingers are kept extended. It also helps reduce stress and boost our immune system.
There are numerous mudras which can be very effectively used along with Reiki and reap the positive benefits of each. However, I would still say be careful with the mudras as we need to be very sure of it and be ready to incorporate mudras and Reiki in our daily routine for a long while to imbibe its energy to the fullest. Never try too many mudras at the same time or day. We must give each mudra time to work for us. Please find the links at the end for further reading.
Love and Light.
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers. Click the image below to subscribe and download the PDF:
Vedant Vikrom Borah is a Biotechnologist and a Reiki healer and teacher. He practices Usui Reiki, Karuna® Reiki, Karmic Reiki, Angel Reiki, Soul Mate Reiki, Deep Healing Reiki, Tiger Reiki, Kundalini Reiki and has embarked on the journey as a Pranic healer. He feels Reiki has helped him accept and let go and live life to the brim. Find Vedant on Facebook at Healing Child.